Dear potential employer who just asked for my Facebook password,
Dear potential employer* who just asked for my Facebook password,
I am going to do you a huge favor and deny your request. You see, it is illegal for you to ask me in an interview how old I am, if I have any kids, what my religion is, or whether I like boys or girls.
Did you know you can easily access all of this information about me simply by reviewing my personal Facebook profile? By complying with your request to log in to my personal Facebook account, I would be opening you up to a huge lawsuit that would likely ensue once I realize that you considered my age/religion/sexual preference when deciding whether or not to hire me.
Additionally, by allowing you to log in to my Facebook account, I would be in violation of Facebook’s terms of service. I am quite certain you did not mean to ask me to commit an ethical violation before you’ve even offered me the job. But if you did, I have to question whether or not I really want to work for your company.
In fact, this interview is over. Best of luck to you and your company in your unethical hiring practices. If you keep trying, I’m sure you’ll find the right (unethical) employee to suit your needs. Unfortunately, I do not believe that I will be a good ‘fit.’
Have you ever been asked to log in to your Facebook account at a job interview? If so, how did you respond. If not, what do you think? OR, if you are an employer who has considered asking for this information, why do you think this is a good idea? Please comment below.
*Please note, no potential employer has asked for my Facebook password… yet.
- That doesn’t mean your employer can use your Facebook password (erratasec.blogspot.com)
- Must you give a job interviewer your Facebook password? (management.fortune.cnn.com)
- Facebook Takes A Stand Against Password Seeking Employers (perezhilton.com)
- Facebook Password Debate Stirs Deep Social Fears (informationweek.com)
- Facebook Isn’t Suing Employers Who Ask for Your Password … Yet (mashable.com)
- Amendment to block Facebook password requests shot down (electronista.com)
- Do You Require Facebook Passwords for Those Applicants You Interview? (business.com)
- Facebook: You Should Never Have to Share Your Password with Employers (techland.time.com)
- UK joins US in concern over employers asking for Facebook passwords (venturebeat.com)
- U.S. Senators Drafting A Law To Prevent Employers From Asking For Facebook Passwords! (perezhilton.com)
- Big Brother Wants Your Facebook Password (businessweek.com)
- Employers requiring Facebook passwords may be investigated by feds (agbeat.com)
This entry was posted on March 30, 2012 by mwebster76. It was filed under Employment, Facebook and was tagged with American Civil Liberties Union, Business, Employment, Facebook, Job interview, Login, Password, Social media, United States Senate.