With the Mega Millions lottery jackpot at half a billion dollars, everyone is talking about how best to win. So, I thought I’d write my own little list of tips. However, unlike every other blog post or news article you may have read on the subject, I will not be giving you tips on how to win (per se.)
I hate to break it to you sunshine, but all those tips you’ve been reading in the news are B.S. The lotto is, by nature, a crap shoot. The lottery is not designed for you to win. It is designed to generate revenue for the government.
The lottery is a game. Like any game, there is a good, clean, fun way to play. There is also a horrible, bad, spend yourself into the poorhouse way to play. (Don’t play that second way.) In case you don’t know the difference, here are my top 5 tips for playing the lotto.
Top 5 Tips for Playing the Lotto
- Play for fun. Do not view the lottery as a retirement plan. Calculate your lotto spending into your entertainment spending and save your investment dollars for your 401K. #smartiesinvestininvestmentfunds
- Buy the tickets that provide the most entertainment for your buck. I personally avoid number drawings for the most part. I enjoy the occasional scratch-off, but I always choose one that will at least provide me a few minutes of entertainment. The $3 bingo is typically my go-to ticket. #$3bingorules
- Don’t play every day. What fun is that? Even cake gets boring when you eat it every day. Besides, most of us really can’t afford to play the lottery every day anyway, whether you want to admit it or not. I usually only buy my scratch-offs on a Friday or Saturday night. I justify the expense by reminding myself that if I went out to the bars, I’d probably blow $40-$50. If I win a few bucks on my $3 ticket, I’ll walk down the street to the store and trade it in for another. I wait till I get home to scratch the tickets so I’m forced to get some exercise. On a good night, I might walk down the block 3 or 4 times, saving money and getting in shape in the process. #lottoischeaperthantequila and #justkiddingcakenevergetsboring
- If you are in a position where you must choose between buying lottery tickets and buying milk for the baby, please buy milk for the baby. A healthy child will be a far better investment long-term than the lottery. #goodmommiesfeedtheirbabies
- Petition the lottery commission to print lotto tickets on butt-friendly paper so you can at least wipe your ass on your ticket when you lose. #toiletpaperistoofuckingexpensive
Are you playing the Mega Millions? What will you do with your winnings? Please comment below.
P.S. Feel free to borrow my Twitter hash tags for the day. Or don’t. I really don’t care. They’re probably all too long anyway, and no one will spell them right.
- Mega Millions & Powerball – My Lottos LLC (itunes.apple.com)
- Mega Millions Jackpot Grows To $476 Million, Largest In Lottery History (inquisitr.com)
- Mega Millions Jackpot Hits $500 Million (chicago.cbslocal.com)
- As giant Mega Millions jackpot stirs up lottery fever, here’s some random trivia, offbeat stories (nj.com)
- Alice Radio Crew Wins $13K As Mega Millions Jackpot Swells To Half A Billion (sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com)
- Mega Millions lottery reaches new record of $476M (foxnews.com)
- Mega Millions reaches record $476 million jackpot (news.yahoo.com)
- Mega Millions Jackpot Now $500 Million (abcnews.go.com)
- No Mega Millions Winner; Jackpot Now $476 Million (fox2now.com)
- [Poll] Nobody Won The Mega Millions Jackpot! (ksfm.radio.com)
- Mega Millions reaches record $476 million jackpot (kansascity.com)
- Mega Millions Reaches Record $476 Million Jackpot (usnews.com)
- MEGA MILLIONS Jackpot Rises To $476 Million! (khmx.radio.com)
- Mega Millions: No Winner, Jackpot Now $476 Million (boston.cbslocal.com)
- No Mega Millions winner; jackpot now $476M (abclocal.go.com)