My favorite reads of 2013
Is it too early to start talking “Best Of” lists? I noticed a few publications are coming out with their 2013 best books lists and wanted to jump on the bandwagon. Of course, theirs are all new books, just out this year. Since I get most of my books from the library, I don’t always have access to all of the newest titles like I would if I were buying them from a bookstore. So some of my favorites this year were oldies but still goodies.
Anyway, the following is my top ten favorite books that I read this year. Aside from #1, which is my #1 favorite book this year, the rest of the books are listed in no particular order:
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane; Neil Gaiman
- Wool; Hugh Howey
- Delirium; Lauren Oliver
- Let’s Pretend this Never Happened; Jenny Lawson
- The Water Seeker; Kimberly Willis Holt
- Stephen King on Writing; Stephen King (duh)
- The Handmaid’s Tale; Margaret Atwood
- Sister of My Heart; Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
- The Space Between Us; Thrity Umrigar
- Imprisoned: The Betrayal of Japanese Americans During World War II; Martin W. Sandler
Like I said, these are not all new books this year. Some are even relatively old. But these are the ones I read this year that I really enjoyed.
It is an eclectic list, but that’s okay. I always wonder about people who read only in one genre or who look down on certain genres (like YA or humor.) So what if Let’s Pretend this Never Happened isn’t literary? Any book that can literally make me shoot milk out my nose because I am laughing so hard is worth reading. You know what they say. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it!
What were your favorite books this year? Please share in the comments below.
- Book Review: Let’s Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson (happinessbook.wordpress.com)
- I Wear the Black Hat and Let’s Pretend this Never Happened (bexonbooks.wordpress.com)
- Handmaid’s Tale: Memory is an Invention of the Mind (dystopianvision.wordpress.com)
- Review: The Handmaid’s Tale (shtulman.wordpress.com)
- Poll: The BEST Speculative Fiction Novel (chrisbrecheen.blogspot.com)
- “Books are a uniquely portable magic.” -Stephen King (nicolgardner027.wordpress.com)
- All-Time Favorite Books: Top 20 (readmorebooks.wordpress.com)
- Oleander Girl by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni for $1.99! @simonschuster #Kindle Daily Deal! (randomizeme.net)
- Why Stephen King put me to Sleep (lburch001.wordpress.com)
- YALLfest event coverage! (fandomsnews.com)