I saw this video of Lily Myers reading her poem, “Shrinking Women” on UpWorthy and had to share. I have watched it like eight times and cried every time. She totally exposes the truth about what it is to be a woman in our society.
It seems to me that, while some women shrink to make room for the men in their lives, others unknowing expand in order to be seen, to prove their existence. What do you think? Please share your thoughts it the comments below.
- Shrinking Women (elisabethlanserrose.com)
- Big Question: The Inequity of the Shrinking Woman (genderandsociety2013.wordpress.com)
- Q&A: Viral Poetry Slammer Lily Myers (blogs.forward.com)
- Day 3: When he’s overweight it’s a harmless adjective. When she is, it’s her definition. (thirtyms.com)
- The Necessity of Deprivation (rationalramblingsofafeminist.wordpress.com)
- Squeezing Into A Corset: Thoughts On Veblen & Gilman (soc331.wordpress.com)
- Space invaders (thefword.org.uk)
- “Spend enough time sitting across from someone and you pick up their habits” (ihidemychocolate.com)
- Shrinking Women (amibeingcatty.wordpress.com)
- Going, Going, Not Gone. (paulavspatriarchy.wordpress.com)