I finally got my hands on a copy of Hugh Howey’s Dust at my local library last week. I didn’t have time to start reading it until Saturday. But once I opened that book and started reading, it didn’t matter what I had time for. Once I started reading, I couldn’t stop. At the end of the day, I kept trying to put it down so I could go to sleep. I didn’t manage to close the book for the night until after I had read the last page. It was that good.
One of my favorite things about Hugh Howey is the way in which he shot to fame. He basically self-published a short story, then went on about his business and forgot about it. Then one day, he realized that short story was a bestseller. He rushed to write a few more stories to capitalize on that interest. Those first stories later became the Wool omnibus that is now being published around the world.
Howey is not only an excellent example of the possibilities for self-publishers, but he is also a huge supporter of the rest of us. Read his recent blog post on why all writers have the right to publish their books. I also love that he has opened up his story world for fan fiction. I may try my hand at a story myself.
Dust is the third and final book in Hugh Howey’s Wool trilogy. Have you started this series yet? If so, what did you think?
P.S. If you are doing NaNoWriMo, you need to check out this NaNoWriMo Word Meter that you can add to your blog. It’s pretty cool!
- Finally finished Wool by Hugh Howey (jeffwalsh.com)
- The Double Dog Hugh Howey Dare (elaynegriffith.wordpress.com)
- Morning Roundup: Kobo vs. Paperwhite, Interview with Hugh Howey and more (teleread.com)
- Self or traditional publishing? Important insights from hybrid publisher Hugh Howey (onewildword.com)
- Exploring Hugh Howey’s Wikify Idea With Some Questions (fallsintowriting.com)
- Hugh Howey: `Every Author Has to Sort Out the Pros and Cons for Themselves’ (makingbabygrand.com)
- How to Make Your Book a Best Seller, Learn From WOOL (claudenougat.blogspot.com)
- Write a Million Words (morlockpublishing.com)
- The Verdict is In: Serializing Your Novel Does Not Work! (claudenougat.blogspot.com)
- The Most Prolific Author You’ve (Probably) Never Read (willswardstrom.wordpress.com)
2 thoughts on “As if Hugh Howey needs more publicity”
Nice article 🙂 How did you get the nanowrimo word meter to work on your site? It won’t work on mine 😦
Thanks! I haven’t actually used the Nano word meter myself. I just saw it on Hugh Howey’s website and thought it looked pretty cool.