Summer Writing Challenge Check-in: Week 7 | Are we there yet?
I almost didn’t make it yesterday. I had suffered a bout of insomnia the night before and hadn’t fallen asleep until after 2 a.m. When I woke at 8:00 yesterday morning, I was so exhausted, I just couldn’t seem to function. I spent the first half of the day crashed out on the couch beating myself up over the fact that I hadn’t written my day’s chapter yet. Then I spent the afternoon thinking about it while hanging out with my kids, looking through old photo albums.
I thought about it while I watered my flowers, while I cooked dinner, while I watched The Big Bang Theory reruns with my teenage son. I was still thinking about that chapter as I read a book to my 7-year-old at bedtime. And then—then I took my notebook to bed with me and wrote yesterday’s chapter before drifting off to sleep.
Whew! I did it. I do believe this writing thing is finally becoming a habit! By this time next week, I will have completed the Write Your Novel This Summer Challenge.
This week’s writing totals:
- Novel #1: I added 0 words, for a grand total of 68,607.
- Novel #2: I added 11,625 words, for a grand total of 17,508.
- Memoir: I added 0 words, for a grand total of 6,117.
I only need to write 5 more chapters, and my first draft will be complete. It will be full of holes, of course, but the entire story will be “on the page” from start to finish. How close are you to completing your first draft? Please share in the comments below.
- Bird by Bird = Chapter by Chapter (kingswoodahoy.wordpress.com)
- Here Is Where I Am . . . (6) (juliedevinwrites.wordpress.com)
- Write Your Own Story! (365to50.wordpress.com)
- 30 Day Writing Challenge (writingcharm.wordpress.com)
- Making the Next Deadline (getitwriteblog.wordpress.com)
- Tales of My Father #6 (newsfromme.com)
- You Have To Start Somewhere (judymko.wordpress.com)
- A chapter completed…almost (livingonepageatatime.wordpress.com)
- A Summer Challenge! (lisenminetti.wordpress.com)
- Active Rest & Relaxation (fatthenfitnow.wordpress.com)