- Wool, by Hugh Howey: Read my recent profile here.
- Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston: Janie marries young to a man her grandmother thinks will keep her secure. But there’s no love in that marriage, and Janie is soon carried down the road by a smooth talker with big dreams. Janie’s second husband makes her a rich and respected mayor’s wife, but he keeps a short leash on her. She doesn’t grieve but a few months after his death before she falls in love with Tea Cake, a man ten years her junior with nothing to offer but “hisself.” Is it just me, or does no woman in this world (the story world or the real world) ever get more than just a very short, sweet time with “the one?”
- Delirium by Lauren Oliver: In a distant future, the citizens of the United States have long been freed from the dreaded disease, amor deliria nervosa, also known as falling in love. At first, Lena can’t wait to turn 18 and undergo the procedure that will keep her cured. She lives in fear of the delirium that drove her mother to suicide. But then Lena meets Alex and is infected with the disease. She’ll do anything to escape into the Wilds outside the city where she can finally be free. Delirium is full of beautiful writing, including the following quote:
“Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That’s what it is: an edge; a razor. It draws up through the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the world falls away on either side. Before and after—and during, a moment no bigger or longer than an edge.”
NOTE: The 10 Day Writing Blogger Challenge is open until November 2013, so feel free to join in the fun. If you decide to answer this same prompt on your blog, I would love to read it. Please post a link to your blog post in the comments below.
- Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver (grownupbookreports.wordpress.com)
- Delirium by Lauren Oliver (shelfmadegirl.wordpress.com)
- Delirium by Lauren Oliver: compelling, shocking, and utterly captivating (dogearsandbookmarks.wordpress.com)
- Delirium by Lauren Oliver (theunapologeticself.wordpress.com)
- #64 Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston (the100greatestbookschallenge.wordpress.com)
- 10 Day Writing Blogger Challenge (magdalenavandenberg.com)
- Hurston’s Daughter (daniellewright1993.wordpress.com)
- Wacky Wednesday: Teachers Who Made a Lasting Impact (2dopesistahs.com)