I’ve been reading Vikki Thompson’s responses to Hunting Down Writing’s 10 Day Writing Blogger Challenge over on her blog, The View Outside and decided to partake in the challenge myself. So, without further ado, here is my response to the Day 1 Writing Prompt:
For this first post, I chose to use the alternative prompt, as I believe I have already shared a pitch of my current novel project.
Here’s the first prompt: Discuss whether writers should blog about writing.
And my answer: YES! I think writers should blog about writing for a variety of reasons.
Flannery O’Connor is often quoted as saying, “I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” Like many writers, my writing process is convoluted and somewhat of a mystery even to me. Just when I think I have it figured out, it morphs on me, and I’m stuck again.
Writing about writing can help you get unstuck. The best way to combat writer’s block is to write. When you can’t come up with anything to say about your current WIP, you can at least sit down and blog about how bad writing sucks. Often, the simple act of writing something – anything – can help you break through that blockage. It may even help you discover what it is that is keeping you blocked.
Another reason why writers should blog about writing is because writing is harder when you try to do it in a vacuum. Plugging in to a writing community helps you feel like you are not quite so alone in the banging of your head on the keyboard until you bleed.
Other writing bloggers can commiserate when the writing is going poorly, or they can cheer you on when it is going well. I don’t know about you, but there are few people in my *real* life who can understand the writing life I am attempting to live as well as my online blogging/writing “friends.”
What about you? Do you think writers should blog about writing? Please share in the comments below.
NOTE: The 10 Day Writing Blogger Challenge is open until November 2013, so feel free to join in the fun. If you decide to answer this same prompt on your blog, I would love to read it. Please post a link to your blog post in the comments below.
- 10 Day Writing Blogger Challenge (magdalenavandenberg.com)
- Should Writer’s Blog About Writing? (sidneyscripts.wordpress.com)
- The Joy’s of the Author Bio (sidneyscripts.wordpress.com)
- Saturday Blogger Interviews – Ashlyn Shore (anothercityurbanite.wordpress.com)
- Day 27- Dare You! (afterwriterdreams.com)
- MrMary on Blogging and Writing: Reflects openly on LittleMsWordy’s Blogging: Work or Hobby? (aspoonfulofsuga.wordpress.com)
- Should Writer’s Blog About Writing (writingsbykrystol.wordpress.com)
- Writing Blogger Challenge Day 3 (the-view-outside.com)
- In Blog War (biswalnikita.wordpress.com)