When I was a kid, I wanted to do everything when I grew up. I wanted to be a writer, of course, but I also wanted to be an airplane pilot. And a race car driver. A Peace Corp volunteer, a detective, a horse jockey, and of course, a nun.
So now I’m (supposedly) an adult, I have finished graduate school, and writing jobs are hard to come by. I keep widening and broadening my search only to realize that I want to do a ton of really cool shit that I am completely unqualified for.
For example: why didn’t I go to school for forestry management? That job sounds awesome. I am so jealous of the people who get to manage the forest for a living. It is so unfair. I want to work full time in the middle of a national forest. I want to drive a bulldozer and plant trees. But I can’t because I didn’t go to school for that.
The whole job search thing has gotten so out of hand, I have even found myself looking at international job postings. I could possibly get a job managing a castle in England. But the pay kinda sucks, I have 2 kids, and I don’t know if they have food stamps there. *sigh*
Did you know the Wisconsin Department of Unemployment only requires people receiving unemployment benefits to apply for 4 jobs a week? Doesn’t that seem a little ridiculous? I mean really, I typically apply for more than that in one day. You kinda have to if you actually want a job.
Yesterday I applied to 4 different jobs in less than 10 minutes using the Indeed.com app on my phone. If you’re only applying to 4 positions a week, then you’re not even trying. Anyway, that’s my opinion. What do you think?
I will send you a postcard from wherever I happen to be at the moment. Check out the details on Fiverr.
- After Losing Your Job: Advice for the First Few Weeks of Unemployment (amnottheonlyone.com)
- Is Fiverr A Valuable Internet Marketing Resource? | The Pros And Cons (davidboozer.com)
- Harry Wrell: The (Starved) Artist (sims3again.wordpress.com)
- TONIGHT: Starving Artists Alert (leslienotes.typepad.com)
- Mining Bitcoin to feed yourself as a starving artist (mdotstrange.com)
- The most universal benefit of them all (newstatesman.com)
- Lost on the path of finding yourself (brunettebeauty5.wordpress.com)
- Is it guilt or PMS? Woes of a “starving artist” (sweatsandthecity.wordpress.com)
- I started at the bottom… (asilosky.wordpress.com)
- non-conformists-meet artists (rehat1461.wordpress.com)