A few semesters ago, I took a poetry writing course. I don’t really consider myself a poet, but I like to dabble from time to time. I wanted to take a course that would challenge me to think about my writing in a different way, and this poetry course definitely fit the bill.
At first, I had a hard time writing poems on demand. Then I started reading poetry on a regular basis, and the ideas began to flow. I started jotting stuff down as it came to me, and I ended up with a stock of poems to choose from whenever the time came to turn one in for a grade.
By the end of the semester, I had a small collection of poems that I am actually kind of proud of. I sent a couple of my favorites off to a few magazines and even attempted to have one published as a picture book. But nothing ever really happened with any of them, and they’ve been sitting around in folders and on my hard drive ever since.
I don’t know that I would ever win any poetry awards, but I do think there is some potential in what I have written. It’s one of those situations where I think I could sell my writing, but I’m not sure if it’s worth shopping around for a traditional publisher. After all, I have no intention of writing a follow-up collection. I just don’t want the work I have done to go to waste. I want to share my writing!
I would like to self-publish my little collection of poems. The problem is, I’m not sure where or how to start. I have done a bit of research, but I always get scared off when it comes to elements such as designing a book cover. I have no idea how to design something like that, and my budget of $0 for this project rules out the option of hiring someone to do it for me.
What do you think? Have you self-published anything? If so, what? And how did you get started?
- Shaped Poetry (thepoeticsproject.com)
- burn us shadow home, a new linocut poem for assata (progresivoblog.wordpress.com)
- Poetry or Short Story – What Shall I Write Today? (wimpywriter.com)
- Dale Guerrieri on Publishing Poems (daleguerrieri.wordpress.com)
- My Poem was published by Poetry24 (kprudchenko.wordpress.com)
- Here and Hereafter: Poems (Arkansas Poetry Award) download (ecvemuk.wordpress.com)
- Crossing the Road: a Poem about Change (sahmataineking.com)
- [15 words or less poems] Creak… (laurasalas.wordpress.com)
- The Business of Poetry (joelinker.wordpress.com)