Yesterday, I had the pleasure of attending my very first Quinceañera. Our Puerto Rican neighbors planned a beautiful 15th birthday party for their beautiful oldest daughter, and my son was invited to be one of her attendants.
The party decorations were very pretty, with purple ribbons and Quinceañera favors to match Charlene’s amazing purple dress. I was so jealous… my 15th birthday party was nothing like this!
The food was also delicious. My favorites were the Puerto Rican rice and pork. I totally stuffed myself, and so did my younger son. The highlight of the party was the group dance, where my 12-year-old proved himself to be quite the entertainer.
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to stay for the entire Quinceañera, but my son was happy to see me go anyway. He was adamant that I leave as early as possible so he could be free to have fun without the presence of my watchful eye. For some reason, he doesn’t seem to have any interest in having me around to chaperon!
At any rate, I did enjoy the Quinceañera, at least the portion I got to see. I think this is a wonderful tradition and believe more families should celebrate their daughters’ entry into womanhood with such fanfare. I wonder if I could get away with planning such a party for my boys… but then, somehow I don’t think they would appreciate the dresses and decorations as much as a daughter would. I suppose I can always plan for granddaughters someday!
Have you ever attended a Quinceañera? What’s your favorite tradition?
- Quinceañera (a-painting-mom.blogspot.com)
- Three Quinceañera Dresses To Be Raffled At El Clasificado’s Quinceañera Expo In Ontario, CA (prweb.com)
- Coordinating a Bash for Quinceanera (partyfuncenter.typepad.com)
- David’s Bridal Launches First-Ever Quinceañera Collection (prweb.com)
- Quinceanera planning (tnn2.wordpress.com)
- Why Do We Make Custom-Made Quinceanera Dresses? (quinceaneragalleria.wordpress.com)
- Special Moments That Make You Go Wow (everybodyneedsalittleromance.com)
- Cotillion, Quinceanera, Sweet Sixteen, Debutante Ball (pasadenaadjacent.com)
- Fish Out of water (100wblog.wordpress.com)