As a high school student, I always hated it when my literature teachers insisted that we identify the themes and motifs of the stories we read. However, as an adult, I have found that my life is laced with a few distinct recurring themes and motifs.
For today’s Wednesday Writing Prompt, I invite you to take a look at your own life and consider what themes and motifs seem to appear most frequently. Then choose one of these themes (and/or motifs) and write an essay, short story, or poem that explores the impact of this theme on your life.
You might also consider how the themes and motifs from your everyday life influence your writing in general. For example, do you often find yourself incorporating these same themes into each piece?
Please post your writing on your own blog or website and share a link in the comments below. Happy writing!
- 2nd ManipalBlog Short Story and Poetry Competition: Illuminati 2012 (India) (freshairlover.blogspot.com)
- Tuesday Tryouts, Trials, Tests, Practices, Auditions, Demonstrations (margoroby.wordpress.com)
- Natural Motifs (fashionmostwanted.com)
- Short Story Review: ‘Across the Rooftops’ by Kevin Barry (robaroundbooks.com)
- English Motifs (callawayinteriordesign.wordpress.com)
- Bird Motif (styletheories.com)
- Cheat from my homework: Fairy tales, motifs and Harry Potter! (rebeccaberto.wordpress.com)