I used to ride my bike everywhere when I was younger. First it was a ten-speed racing bike (I had a crush on a senior who was into bicycle racing,) and then a mountain bike when mountain bikes were first popular. I was in great shape back then and could hop on my bike and ride to a destination 10 miles distant like it was nothing. Then I had kids.
Kids are a pain to bike-ride with until they’re old enough to ride their own bikes and keep up with the grown ups. But by the time that happens, the grown ups realize they can no longer keep up with the kids. I bought a new bike last year (or maybe the year before, I can’t remember,) so I could ride with my kids who are soon turning 6 and 13, and I hate it.
It’s a mountain bike like the one I used to ride so easily… but it’s so danged hard to ride! The seat is uncomfortable, and I feel like I’m constantly fighting the chain and the gears to get it moving. (Let’s not even mention all the extra weight I’m trying to move at this point.) Needless to say, the bike sits in my sun room, relaxing in the sunlight. As much as I love bike riding, I never do it. I just hate my bike too much!
I spent this past weekend visiting my family down in Southern Illinois. After the 7-hour drive, I was anxious to get out and move around. My mom had dragged out all the old bikes she had stacked up in the garage, cleaned them up, and had my brother help her work on them to make sure there were plenty to go around for all the kids since everyone was home for the holiday weekend. Of course, none of the bikes were quite right for me, so I snatched my mom’s old lady bike and went for a ride.
This is when I realized that I may have simply bought the wrong kind of bike. My mom has one of those beach cruisers (I think that’s what they call them) with the big handlebars, big cushy seat, and big rack sticking out the back end. I used to think I would never ride something like that… I guess it’s time to admit I’ve officially crossed into old-ladydom.
- Tips to maintain energy level while mountain biking (gamescue.com)
- The Bicycle Coalition of Maine Launches New Website (flyteblog.com)
- Crazy Bike Rides in Peru’s Mountains (Videos) (treehugger.com)
- Bike Riding in Brazil – Portuguese Bicycle Vocabulary List (portugueseblog.org)
- Why Bike (1000reasonstoride.wordpress.com)
- So you and your bike can’t make it up the hill? Here’s what I did. (katandmouseo.wordpress.com)
- Adamo Peak mountain bike saddle (gearflogger.typepad.com)
- How To (Not) Ride a Bike (gettingbetterman.wordpress.com)
- Spring Cycling: Sutton Quebec (mec.ca)
- #10 Life Lesson: You Take Care of Your Stuff (1000reasonstoride.wordpress.com)
- The Trans-Sylvania Mountain Bike Epic (outsideonline.com)
- Mountain bike or road bike? (boyslife.org)
- GT Laguna Bicycle Review (gadgetreview.com)
- Actually on a bike. (jessicabethtravels.wordpress.com)
- Bike Hire (benidormcyclehire.com)