Isn’t it just like me to change my mind at the last minute and start over from scratch? Well, that’s exactly what I am looking at, Day 1 of NaNoWriMo. After all the preparation I did, planning for my original novel, I was having a very hard time being passionate about the story. I think I had some good ideas, but I really wasn’t happy with where the story was going. I was dreading getting up this morning to start working that outline into a novel.
Then this morning came. I headed out for my morning walk, fresh from a dream about a girl who was involved in a robbery and tries to get away by running into a church. The dream was one of those anxiety dreams in which I am desperately trying to get somewhere or get away from something, but I keep running into obstacles that keep me from getting there (this is a recurring dream for me, unfortunately.)
Anyway, out for my morning walk, this seed of an idea began to sprout. I worked the dirt around the idea for 30 minutes while I practically ran through my morning walk. By the time I got home, I couldn’t wait to sit down and start writing. I grabbed my notebook and headed to my younger son’s room to drag him out of bed and lay his clothes out for school. I sat on the floor, scribbling in my notebook as he got dressed.
I toted my notebook through my son’s entire morning routine (thankfully my older son gets himself up and out the door,) scribbling in between putting bread in the toaster, getting my son’s shoes on him, spreading his toast with Nutella, and wiping the Nutella from his face on the way out the door.
The idea grew as I walked my son to school. We arrived just before the bell rang. After a quick smooch, I helped him through the door and practically ran home to sit down and write some more.
So there you have it. I am writing a novel that I feel truly passionate about, and I am writing it starting today. Happy National Novel Writing Month!
- My First NaNoWriMo Update (jackofalltradesmasterofnone.com)
- NaNo-NaNo-WriMo-WriMo… It’s almost here! (writeontheworld.wordpress.com)
- NaNoWriMo starts in less than three hours! (elizabethhauser.wordpress.com)
- NaNoWriMo 2011⇒ I’m In (laurelrusswurm.wordpress.com)
- NaNoWriMo is Here! (lifesmaze.wordpress.com)
- Happy Halloween and Hello NaNoWriMo 2011! (dailypost.wordpress.com)
- NaNoWriMo 2011 (stacey-rose.com)
- NaNoWriMo!!!!!!! A FEW MORE HOURS!!!! (raodum.wordpress.com)
- NaNoWriMo – Less than 24 hours to go (lifeatnofixedabode.com)