Who’s doing NaNoWriMo this year?
Last year was my first shot at National Novel Writing Month. I didn’t get very far at 11,654 words, but I still found NaNo a valuable experience. As I mentioned in a previous post, last year’s NaNoWriMo really pushed me to look at my writing process and figure out this whole outlining of the novel business.
Outlining was one of those things I’d always suspected I should be doing but kept putting off because, well, I’m lazy. Luckily, my writing process has evolved a great deal since last November. Not only have I figured out that, yes, I do need to outline my novel, but I have also figured out how to go about constructing a decent outline.
I’m going into NaNo this year with a solid outline and will probably also have several character sketches, free-writes, and other schtuff prepared (thanks to my advanced novel writing course) so I can just get down to the business of writing.
I can’t write in a bubble. I need to actively engage myself in these outside writing activities — NaNo, writing courses, etc. — to keep myself writing. I need the challenge, and I need, need, need the deadlines. I do my best writing when I’m working at a deadline. I get shit done when I have assignments due. NaNoWriMo may not be useful for every writer, but I enjoy the challenge. Wanna be writing buddies this year?
What do you do to prepare for NaNoWriMo? Please comment below.
- Can You Handle NaNoWriMo? (angelofosmond.wordpress.com)
- It’s Never Too Early For NaNo Dares (chyrondave.wordpress.com)
- Seeds of Inspiration in Prep for NaNoWriMo (tinyoctopusdesigns.wordpress.com)
- On Writing (mutantsupermodel.com)
- NaNoWriMo is right around the corner! (melissamwolff.com)
- 4 Reasons To Skip NaNoWriMo (bareknucklewriter.com)
- “Treat your book like your child” (writermummy.wordpress.com)
- I’m Getting Ready for Camp…Camp NaNoWriMo That Is! (prspates.wordpress.com)
- Camp NaNoWriMo Update and Story Progress (jessicaburdesblog.wordpress.com)
- What Have I Been Doing? A Writing Update from August (prspates.wordpress.com)