For the love of the discomforting novel
I like to read a book that makes me feel uncomfortable. For example, I found the chapters of The Hunger Games that covered the actual games themselves to be absolutely excruciating. So, when I found out a couple of chapters into Catching Fire that Katniss was going to have to go to the Games again, I was mortified.
But they can’t make her go to the Games again, I thought.
I can’t go through this again, I thought.
They can’t do this to US.
Some small part of me wanted to put the book down and give it up. It wasn’t fair. I had already suffered the agonizing experience of the Games in the first book. I shouldn’t have to go through this again.
Then I remembered, I’m not actually going to the Games. The Hunger Games are not real. They are fiction, and I am only reading about them. Katniss isn’t real. Peeta isn’t real. Katniss’ family isn’t real.
It’s fiction, remember?
I finally steeled myself and plowed through Catching Fire. I suffered the discomfort and somehow enjoyed every minute of it. So much so that I now eagerly await my local library’s copies of Mockingjay to be returned so I can have my turn at checking one out.
Why do you think we love those stories that make us feel so uncomfortable? Please comment below.
Click here to buy:
*Prices are valid as of 8/10/12 and are subject to change.
- The Hunger Games: A Sister’s Sacrifice – Teen Blogger’s Book Review (BrewCityBookLovers)
- May the Odds Be Ever In Your Favor – The Hunger Games Review (bananascoop.com)
- Celebuzz ‘Hunger Games: Catching Fire’ Casting Cheat Sheet: Which Roles Are Still In Play? (INFOGRAPHIC) (celebuzz.com)
- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (honshinen.wordpress.com)
- Lionsgate Splits Hunger Games: Mockingjay Into Two Parts (seattlepi.com)
- Alan Ritchson Cast as Gloss in Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (geekinvaders.com)
- Philip Seymour Hoffman Explains Why He Takes the Role of Plutarch in ‘Catching Fire’ (aceshowbiz.com)
- Smallville’s Aquaman Set to Add Some Gloss to The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (dreadcentral.com)
- ‘Hunger Games: Catching Fire’: Lynn Cohen Is Mags (hollywood.com)
- Jena Malone Officially On Board ‘Hunger Games: Catching Fire’ (aceshowbiz.com)
- $999 Mockingjay pins? Find them at Target (marquee.blogs.cnn.com)